Upload shipment tracking information using bulk tools and third party services
Uploading shipping tracking information is a vital part of the selling process. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they tend to be more satisfied and leave higher detailed seller ratings (DSRs). This key action also reduces the amount of time sellers spend answering one of the most common buyer questions: "Where's my stuff?" Additionally, tracking information and Delivery Confirmation plays an important role in the eBay dispute resolution process and helps you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
You can upload virtually any shipping carrier’s shipping tracking information. When you upload this information to eBay, your buyers receive it via an automated email, and can access it from within their My eBay. If you pay for shipping and print shipping labels on eBay or PayPal, the upload of this information to eBay is automatic. If you use third party services or bulk tools to list your items, uploading this information to eBay is easy.
Benefits of Uploading Tracking Numbers or Delivery Confirmation
- Improved Buyer Experience. When you upload this information, buyers can more easily determine when they will receive their packages.
- Improved Buyer Confidence. Uploading Delivery Confirmation or tracking information gives buyers greater confidence that their transaction will go through without an issue.
- Improved Feedback and DSRs. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they're more satisfied and tend to leave higher DSRs. Tracking information and Delivery Confirmation also helps you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
- Seller Efficiency. Providing tracking information and Delivery Confirmation tends to reduce the amount of time spent answering shipping-related buyer questions.
- Seller Protection. Shipping tracking information plays an important role in the eBay dispute resolution process. Tracking information that shows delivery to the address in the order details, is seen as "evidence" in the event an Item Not Received case is opened, and protects sellers against claims. For transactions of $750 or more (including domestic shipping, tax, and any other fees charged by the seller), be sure to upload shipping tracking information and include Signature Confirmation to protect yourself from eBay Buyer Protection cases (Note: for PayPal Buyer Protection cases, items costing $250 or more require proof of the recipient's signature.)
Once you've uploaded tracking information or Delivery Confirmation, it appears in the following places:
- The item’s Order Details page
- My eBay
- Feedback page
- Automated Order Update email
- Ask Seller a Question page
Additionally, uploaded information is integrated into the eBay Resolutions flow.
Use PayPal labels—tracking is uploaded automatically
If you pay for shipping and print labels on PayPal, the Delivery Confirmation or tracking number is automatically uploaded to My eBay and an email is sent to the buyer.
How to Upload Tracking Numbers and Delivery Confirmation in Selling Manager
To upload tracking information in Selling Manager follow the steps below:
- Go to the Sold Items section of Selling Manager.
- Select the check box next to the item or items for which you want to add a tracking or Delivery Confirmation number.
- Click the Add Tracking Number button.
- On the Add/Edit/Delete Tracking Number page, enter the tracking or Delivery Confirmation number.
- If eBay can determine the carrier you're using, such as USPS or UPS, we'll pre-fill that information in the Carrier box. Otherwise, enter the name of your carrier.
- Click the Save button.
Select the check box next to the item and click Add Tracking
Enter the tracking or Delivery Confirmation number and check to see if eBay pre-filled the shipping carrier name
How to Upload Tracking Numbers and Delivery Confirmation using File Exchange
To upload tracking information using File Exchange, follow the steps below:
- Go to File Exchange in My eBay.
- Create a download request.
- Create a "Revise Shipment Status" download job and select all sold listings.
- Open downloaded file.
- To mark the item as shipped, set Shipping Status to 1. Add carrier(s) and tracking numbers in bulk.
- In the left navigation bar, select Upload Listings and Updates
- Click the browse button, select your revised file, then click upload.
Create a download request, set Shipping Status to 1, and add carriers and tracking numbers in bulk.
How to Upload Tracking Numbers and Delivery Confirmation using eBay Plug-in for Excel
- Select Download > Awaiting Shipment and click the Open link below the file in the Job Manager file.
- Click the Awaiting Shipment tab at the bottom of the worksheet.
- Enter the tracking number and carrier name for one or more items.
- Select Upload > Current Worksheet.
Enter the tracking number and carrier names for one or more items.
eBay API Tools for Uploading Shipment Tracking
For sellers who prefer to interact with eBay through the eBay Trading Web Services (Trading API), shipping tracking information and carrier name can be passed via the CompleteSale API or the SetShipmentTracking API. If you use eBay's APIs to upload shipping tracking information, you can add any shipping carrier name in the ShippingCarrierUsed field.
- More information on the CompleteSale API can be found here: http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/eBay/CompleteSale.html
- More information on SetShipmentTrackingInfo API can be found here: http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/merchant-data/CallRef/SetShipmentTrackingInfo.html
Check with your Certified Provider for Integrated Uploading of Tracking Information
Most Certified Providers offer tools integrated with eBay for uploading shipping tracking information. For example, when you upload tracking numbers to Auctiva, ChannelAdvisor, or GarageSale, the information is automatically updated to eBay. Contact your third party provider for more.
Mark Items as Shipped if you don’t have Delivery Confirmation or Tracking Information
If your carrier does not provide a tracking number, be sure to mark your item as "shipped" in My eBay as soon as you send it. Your buyer is notified in the Order Update email that their item is marked as "shipped" and will see a "shipped" icon within My eBay. Consider following up personally via email to let your buyer know you shipped the item— that way the buyer is assured the item is on its way and should arrive within your estimated delivery time.
If your carrier does not provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped as soon as you send it.
Extra shipping tips and resources
Read answers to frequently asked questions about PayPal labels.
Get special eBay discounts from Canada Post and FedEx.
Boost your sales and ratings, and lower your costs.
From your PayPal account you can pay for discounted postage, print shipping labels, and upload tracking to eBay automatically.