Customize your return settings
A generous return policy, along with quick and easy returns, are must-haves for today's online shoppers. On eBay, you can customize how you handle returns based on your unique business needs. Virtually automate the entire return process to expedite returns and refunds, or select options to manually approve specific requests such as returns for high-value items in certain categories.
It's up to you to choose whether or not to offer returns and determine who pays for return shipping. Learn more.
Keys to an effective eBay return policy
Address each of these topics in your return policy. Make sure the policy is easy for your buyers to understand.
- Time limits: To attract the most buyers, consider offering 30 days or longer.
- Refund type: “Money back” is the most common type. Sellers can also offer “Money back or exchange” if you have the same items in multiple sizes or colors, or a suitable replacement.
- Return shipping charges: Clearly state who pays for return shipping—you or the buyer.
- Restocking fee: Restocking fees vary. “No restocking fee” is ideal for buyers, but 15% is not uncommon.
- Item condition: Clearly state the returned item’s required condition. For example, "unopened box" or "opened box with all original materials.”
- International sales: If you sell to buyers outside of Canada, describe any international limitations to your eBay return policy.
The best approach to returns is to avoid them altogether. Understand how to create an effective listing and you’ll be well on your way to simple, straightforward sales. If things do get complicated, make sure you understand the Seller Protection policy. It’s how we make sure sellers are safe on eBay.
Helpful selling resources
There are a few simple things you can do to get paid even more quickly.
Learn how fast and fair handling of disputes provides protection for both buyers and sellers.
Learn how the eBay Seller Protection team works to help keep you protected so you can focus on selling.
See what unused items you could sell from your home.
How you price your item affects search visibility and how many items will sell. Consider your approach to maximize your success.
Understand the difference between auction-style and fixed price, and fine-tune your listings to get the best results.