Shipping for business
Keeping costs down and shipping speeds up can be a challenge as your sales volume increases. As your business grows, you'll find it helpful to take advantage of tools and solutions to help keep your shipping practices up to speed. Read our tips below to help you learn how your shipping practices scale alongside your business.
Save with eBay-negotiated carrier discounts
When you print shipping labels online with eBay, you get access to special discounts from our shipping partners, including Canada Post and UPS. Explore your options, check each carrier's rates, and choose the option—or options—that make the most sense for your business.
Customize your returns to expedite return handling
A generous return policy, along with quick and easy returns, are must-haves for today's online shoppers. You can virtually automate the entire return process to expedite returns and refunds, or select options to manually approve specific requests, such as returns for high-value items or items in certain categories.
Upload tracking—by shipment or in bulk
When buyers are able to track the progress of their shipment, they tend to be more satisfied and leave higher ratings. Plus, it cuts down on the amount of time you spend answering the question, "Where's my item?" You can upload virtually any shipping carrier's tracking information, which buyers will then receive via an automated email and can access right from My eBay.
Combined invoices save you time
Buyers appreciate getting a single invoice for multiple purchases, and it can save you substantial amounts of time and hassle before you ship. Just turn on eBay checkout in My eBay to make sure buyers can easily add multiple items to their orders—and make sure you can receive a single payment for it all.
Uploading shipping tracking information is a vital part of the selling process. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they tend to be more satisfied and leave higher detailed seller ratings. Additionally, tracking information and delivery confirmation play an important role in the eBay case resolution process, and helps you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
When you upload tracking information to eBay, your buyers receive it via an automated email, and can access it from within their My eBay. And if you pay for shipping and print shipping labels online, it's uploaded to eBay automatically.
Even if you use third party services or bulk tools to list your items, uploading this information to eBay is easy, and offers the following benefits:
- A better buyer experience. When you upload tracking information, buyers can more easily determine when they will receive their packages.
- Greater buyer confidence. Uploading delivery confirmation or tracking information gives buyers greater confidence that their transaction will go through without an issue.
- Improved feedback and DSRs. When buyers can track the progress of their shipment, they're more satisfied, and tend to leave higher DSRs. Tracking information and delivery confirmation also help you qualify for automatic 5-star shipping time DSRs.
- More efficiency. Providing tracking information and delivery confirmation tends to reduce the amount of time spent answering shipping-related buyer questions.
- Seller protection. Shipping tracking information plays an important role in the eBay case resolution process. Tracking information that shows delivery to the address in the order details is seen as evidence in the event an Item Not Received case is opened, and protects sellers against claims.
Upload tracking numbers and delivery confirmation to Selling Manager
To upload tracking information in Selling Manager, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Sold Items section of Selling Manager. Select the check box next to the item or items for which you want to add a tracking or delivery confirmation number.
- Select the Add Tracking Number button.
- On the Add/Edit/Delete Tracking Number page, enter the tracking or delivery confirmation number.
- If eBay can determine the carrier you're using, we'll pre-fill that information in the Carrier box. Otherwise, enter the name of your carrier.
- Select the Save button.
Upload tracking numbers and delivery confirmation to File Exchange
To upload tracking information using File Exchange, follow the steps below:
- Go to File Exchange in My eBay.
- Create a download request.
- Create a Revise Shipment Status download job, and select all sold listings.
- Open the downloaded file.
- To mark the item as shipped, set Shipping Status to 1. Add carrier(s) and tracking numbers in bulk.
- In the left navigation bar, select Upload Listings and Update.
- Click the browse button, select your revised file, then click upload.
eBay API tools for uploading shipment tracking
For sellers who prefer to interact with eBay through the eBay Trading Web Services (Trading API), shipping tracking information and carrier name can be passed via the CompleteSale API or the SetShipmentTracking API. If you use eBay's APIs to upload shipping tracking information, you can add any shipping carrier name in the ShippingCarrierUsed field.
Check with your eBay-certified provider for integrated uploading
Most certified providers offer tools integrated with eBay for uploading shipping tracking information. For example, when you upload tracking numbers to Auctiva, ChannelAdvisor, or GarageSale, the information is automatically updated to eBay. Contact your third-party provider for more information.