Match to buyers’ most frequently searched terms and make your listings easier to find.
What are item specifics?
Item specifics are descriptive keywords that tell a buyer about your item. They may include brand, size, length, width, height, type, color or style and many more, and vary depending on what you’re selling.
They’re easy to add directly through eBay or within third party tools.
What are the benefits of adding item specifics to my listing?
- Item specifics have a direct impact on your visibility within a buyer's search results.
- Complete and accurate item specifics can increase the visibility of your listing in eBay search results, Google search, and Google Shopping, and help your buyers find exactly what they are looking for.
- Buyers use item specifics to filter their search results, making it easier for them to find exactly what they’re looking for. Your item will only appear in those filtered search results if you have added the matching item specific information to your listing.
- Item specifics are also very important on mobile search results.
- They sit at the top of your item description in a standardized format, giving buyers a clear overview of what they’re looking at.
Buyers’ in home & garden and fashion categories are 65%* more likely to use filters to narrow down their search results so they can more easily find what they’re looking for.
Dress listings with the item specifics “style” and “dress length” completed, sell 81% more than those without.**
- “Required” item specifics are necessary to successfully launch your listing.
- “Recommended” item specifics help your listings be found easier by buyers based on their frequently searched terms.
Item Specific Requirements
Throughout 2019, we’ve emphasized the importance of item specifics and how they increase the visibility of your listings on both eBay and on external search engines. The more data you give us about what you’re selling, the better we can match your item to what a buyer is looking for, either through query search, left- hand navigation filters or category merchandising pages.
We’re adding new item specifics in the below categories at the end of May.
- New item specifics for Watches: Download details
- New item specifics for Business & Industrial: Download details
- New item specifics for Sporting Goods: Download details
- New item specifics for Home and Garden: Download details
In summer, we’ll be introducing required item specifics in the below categories. These requirements will apply to all new and revised listings.
- New item specifics for Electronics: Download details
- New item specifics for Home and Garden: Download details
These item specifics values are available now in “eBay” listing flows and we encourage you to update your listings as soon as possible.
For item specific requirements previously released in 2019, please see below:
See how many more searches you match
The lightning bolt meter moves to let you know how many more searches you will match with each additional item specific you add.
New features to help with item specifics requirements
Over the next few months, we’ll be launching some new features to help you with the requirements for item specifics.
“Required Soon” feature. This feature is available now within the listing flow when you revise or list an item with item specifics that will soon be required. Seller Hub will soon give you information about upcoming item specifics requirements and the dates that will become mandatory for your current listings. By early July, on the active listings page, sellers will see an ‘item specifics—required soon’ quick filter that enables them to quickly see those listings, and then update them prior to the required date. By mid-July, a task on the Overview page will appear if sellers have any listings with missing item specifics that will soon be required. By late July, sellers will see a dedicated column on the active listings tab with the same information.
Item specifics rankings. This feature is currently live in the listing flow and gives you guidance on what the most important item specifics your buyers are searching for using buyer demand data (the number of searches over the past 30 days). Within each item specifics section, you’ll see the most important item specifics at the top. Providing these item specifics will help to increase your product’s visibility especially when buyers use the left-hand navigation filters.
- Item specifics download/upload feature. This feature will be available in the Seller Hub Active Listings page by mid-July and will allow you to download an Excel file containing all of your active listings that are missing required, soon-to-be required, or recommended item specifics. You can then interact with the file to provide the missing item specifics by choosing from the available values in drop-down menus or adding your own values. Once you've completed your updates, you can save the Excel file in CSV format and then upload it back to eBay — via your active listings page — to update the listings in bulk.
You will quickly update item specifics using a bulk flow in Seller Hub Active Listings. You can select the listings you’d like to update and go through them quickly to choose your item specifics.
Please note that where we are changing existing item specifics to a new like-for-like item specifics value, we will match these on your listings automatically when your products are renewed, relisted, or revised. If the item specifics have changed and there is no exact match, we won’t do this and you will need to update these listings.
In addition, as mentioned in our February Seller News, there are now two places on Seller Hub, My eBay and the app where you can see which of your active listings have missing item specifics.
* Data collected between July-Sep 2018.
** Report comparing average sales value per listing for listings with item specifics “dress length” and “style” vs those without from December 2017-July 2018.