Listing with Structured Data
Help buyers find your items. Use accurate item specifics when you list.
What are item specifics?
Item specifics are descriptive keywords that tell a buyer about your item. They may include brand, size, length, width, height, type, color or style and many more, and vary depending on what you’re selling.
They’re easy to add directly through eBay or within third party tools.
What are the benefits of adding item specifics to my listing?
- Item specifics have a direct impact on your visibility within a buyer's search results.
- Complete and accurate item specifics can increase the visibility of your listing in eBay search results, Google search, and Google Shopping, and help your buyers find exactly what they are looking for.
- Buyers use item specifics to filter their search results, making it easier for them to find exactly what they’re looking for. Your item will only appear in those filtered search results if you have added the matching item specific information to your listing.
- Item specifics are also very important on mobile search results.
- They sit at the top of your item description in a standardized format, giving buyers a clear overview of what they’re looking at.
- “Required” item specifics are necessary to successfully launch your listing.
- “Recommended” item specifics help your listings be found easier by buyers based on their frequently searched terms.
Item Specific Requirements
Throughout 2019, we’ve emphasized the importance of item specifics and how they increase the visibility of your listings on both eBay and on external search engines. The more data you give us about what you’re selling, the better we can match your item to what a buyer is looking for, either through query search, left-hand navigation filters or category merchandising pages.
In Spring 2020, we’ll be introducing required item specifics in the below categories. These requirements will apply to all new and revised listings.
- New item specifics for Electronics: Download details
- New item specifics for Home and Garden: Download details
These item specifics values are available in eBay listing flows and we encourage you to start adding them now.
For item specific requirements previously released in 2019, please see below:
- New item specifics for Toys: Download details
- New item specifics for Fashion: Download details
- New item specifics for Home & Garden: Download details
- New item specifics for Collectibles and Media & Gift Cards*: Download details
*With the exception of Gift Cards Expiration Month and Expiration Year: these item specifics are not required for Canada.
See how many more searches you match
The lightning bolt meter moves to let you know how many more searches you will match with each additional item specific you add.
Need help finding missing item specifics? Use Seller Hub.
In Seller Hub, you can also find out what item specifics are required and recommended when you list or revise your items. In addition to the required item specifics, we encourage you to fill out as many recommended item specifics as you can by selecting Add your own item specific.
We’re working with third-party tool providers to audit how much visibility they are giving to item specifics, including required item specifics, in their tools.
Use Optiseller to bulk update and optimize item specifics
Adding Item specifics to your existing listings can be time consuming. Optiseller is a third party tool to help you identify listings with missing Item specifics and is free to use until April 30th, 2020.